Medicare Coverage Policies —ICD-9
The policies listed here are the Medicare Local Coverage Determinations (LCDs) and the National Coverage Determinations (NCDs) and are intended to be a quick reference, not a substitute for the complete LCDs, NCDs or the ICD-9 manual.The complete policies may be accessed through Novitas Solutions, Inc. and Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. Please refer to the ICD-9 manual for a complete listing of ICD-9 codes. The ultimate responsibility for correct coding lies with the ordering physician. All ICD-9 codes must be medically appropriate for the patient's condition and consistent with the information found in the patient's medical record for the date of service.
Most Medicare Advantage Plans follow these coverage policies. Please consult the specific Medicare Advantage carrier for confirmation.
- ADVANCE BENEFICIARY NOTICE (ABN) Form
- NonCovered ICD9CM Codes for all NCDs
- CodingGuidelines for all NCDs
- Reasons for Denial
- Additional Coding Guidelines
- Blood Counts
- Blood Glucose Testing
- C-Reactive Protein Testing-LCD
- Carcinoembryonic Antigen
- Collagen Crosslinks
- Digoxin Therapeutic Drug Assay
- Fecal Occult Blood Test
- Flow Cytometry – LCD
- Gamma Glutamyl Transferase
- Glycated Hemoglobin_Glycated Protein
- Hepatitis Panel_Acute Hepatitis Panel
- Human Chorionic Gonadotropin
- Human Immunodeficiency Virus Testing
- Human Immunodeficiency Virus Testing_Diagnosis
- Lipids Testing
- Molecular Diagnostics - LCD
- Prostate Specific Antigen
- Qualitative Drug Testing-LCD
- RAST Type Tests-LCD
- Serum Iron Studies
- Thyroid Testing
- Tumor Antigen by Immunoassay CA125
- Tumor Antigen by Immunoassay CA15-3
- Tumor Antigen by Immunoassay CA19-9
- Urine Culture_Bacterial
- Vitamin D Assay Testing-LCD
HNL’S GUIDE TO FREQUENTLY USED MEDICARE COVERAGE POLICIES – COMPLETE LIST note: Downloading the full book is a 1MG file and may extend downloading time depending on your internet connection.
Policies have been updated July 2015Note: In order to view the PDF file you must have Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you do not, click here to download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
For additional information, please contact Customer Care at 1-877-402-4221 or Click here.